04 Sep Part 10 of 10: 10 Ways To Bring Vitality To The Life Of Your Elderly Parent: Art therapy
Art therapy is an excellent opportunity to allow older adults to experiment and explore using their imagination. This may include painting, drawing, sketching, colouring and a variety of craft projects. Arts and crafts encourages members to be creative and also is an excellent social group enhancing social interaction with others.
Art Therapy can be a useful and fulfilling activity to help those who suffer from Alzheimer’s disease. It can increase the quality of life for those suffering and become a way of expression, even after other types of communication start to fail.
To read Previous part, part 9 of 10:10 Ways To Bring Vitality To The Life Of Your Elderly Parent: https://www.virtueintegratedcare.ie/blog/gardening/
Some points to keep in mind when facilitating Art Therapy for individuals with a memory problem;
- Use sensory heavy materials, such as things with bright colours and various textures.
- Have them draw something from their childhood, like a favourite place or season.
- Talk during the activity. Discuss the actual project, or ask questions that might help bring back old memories.
- You may have to start the project for them. Get them going and then let them take over.
- Use the experience as a way to help build moral. Be encouraging and positive during the activity. Compliment the finished project afterwards.
- Display their art work somewhere that they will be able to see it.